Further to this post - a friend of mine has just emailed me his thoughts. Very different to mine.
So brave commenters, what do you think to these?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1. It all about communication and if you can’t do that you might as well be an artist
2. Understand business, and believe it or not it’s not all do on Macs, remember it’s all about the money. See the bigger picture of how what you do, not only the effects on your target audience and their business but the people around you and your business
3. Be disposable, don’t be too proud/precious, you are not creating the Mona Lisa. Have ideas, lots of them, don’t be afraid, however in reality there are such things as bad ideas, no matter what they tell you
4. Create Content – I don’t think it’s the Graphic designers responsibility to create content, but more to understand it and how it is most effectively consumed, I always say that the client knows their subject better than anyone else but the issue is that they have is that they cannot communicate it, that where we come in
5. Know your subject - read lots read anything and everything – understand your audience and how society consumes media – you may think that you understand popular culture and don’t forget that not every likes Big bother / football no matter how passionate you are about it, it takes all sorts. Understand your medium(s) inside out and embrace technology.
6. Money – understand the value of a good idea vs budget. Clients / Competitors can all buy macs with lovely filters and illegible fonts but what they can’t do is have the idea,
7. Learn about design effectiveness, accessibility and corporate and social responsibility you will be hearing a lot more about it in future
8. Be honest at all times, there are too many bullshiters out there, good or bad, people will generally understand, take it on board and respect you more for it, because they know where they are with you
9. Talk and be socialable and never shit on anyone it’s a small world
10. And don’t forget it’s all about the money