This is probably the piece of design I hate most in the world, right now. There's a high chance that you've got one of these at home.
There's a higher than high chance that if I came round your house and saw that TV I'd take an instant dislike to you. Instantly.
Don't worry, I'm sure there would be mitigating factors and I'd get over it. You read this, which is a start. And you've invited me round your house, which was very kind.
This design kind of sums up everything I hate about bad design in the naughties.
1. It's totally meaningless, devoid of any added value.
2. It's essentially a style that's been ripped off. Hugely derivative of something (probably from Ive) that was once good and then expanded and bastardised to death.
3. It triggers more poor imitations, and leads design buyers to say things like "I want it like they did it".
4. Everyone blindly buys one because everyone else has bought one. No one actually stops to think, do I like this?
5. It's so damn ugly and intrusive. Sat in the corner of your lounge looking shit.
It's changing now, as more and more people are buying "plasma" TV's. But still. You know what I mean.